Lets Talk about the Investment Fund Option
We have previously discussed entry to the Golden Visa through the Real Estate Option, so what is the fund option?
Although the Portuguese Golden Visa was established in 2012, the programme did not have the investment fund option until 2017. The law allows for:-
€350,000 for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital funds committed to the capitalization of companies incorporated under the Portuguese law, with a maturity of at least five years and with at least 60% of the investment portfolio in companies that have a head office in the national territory
The investment can be made in sectors such as technology, energy, industry, or real estate. All funds are regulated by the central institution CMVM (Securities Market Commission).
What are the Benefits of the Investment Fund Option?
- The minimum investment is just €350,000 and some funds cover the cost of PR
- There are no additional Taxes unlike the real estate investment
- Investment returns can be lucrative. Dividends and capital gains you obtain can be tax-exempt
- Clear exit strategy
- Investors reduce risk exposure through portfolio diversification
- Qualified experts in related sectors manage these investments
- Portuguese government supports some funds through subsidies
- The registered funds in Portugal are regulated by the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMVM). As well as the Bank of Portugal, the external Fund Management company, and Portuguese tax authorities.